Friday, July 11, 2014

Update 7/11/2014

This past week one of my autosomal matches and I had a new discovery.  We knew we matched on Blevins but we also match on the Quaker Pughs.  I shared that I stop just short of trying to follow the Welsh patronymic naming patterns.

Some of the first few original Quaker immigrants chose to include or choose one of these names that became a Colonial surname.  For those that are not aware of these naming patterns, let me explain.

John Ap Hugh was Welsh Quaker.  The "ap" reads "the son of ", therefore John was the son of Hugh.  He could have had a brother Robert ap Hugh, Thomas ap Hugh and William ap Hugh.
Then they would name their sons Thomas ap Robert, Thomas at Thomas and Thomas ap William.  Get the picture?  All the sons carry their father's given name as their "surname".  This is, for me, a genealogical nightmare. Now my task for autosomal testing identification is to discover just how many of my relatives used this pattern and what the resulting Colonial surnames are.

All those Thomas's that I match for no apparent reason, if they trace back to Quakers, will have to be crossed checked to see this is a derivative of one of my original Quakers.

Much to my absolute delight, my atDNA cousin sent me this marvelous link.  I know the authors and this is a trusted resource and I am delighted to pass it on.

This page is an example of the naming practice and shows a lot of what you will find within the thousand of pages or original research and transcription.
http://www.gwyneddmeeting.org/history/griffith.htm

Gwynedd Friends Meeting History Page
This is the doorway to the site. Completely searchable
http://www.gwyneddmeeting.org/history/history.htm

Another great site is a Blog...

Wandering through the NC Piedmont


This site is full of original land maps of Orange Co NC with the names included.

http://piedmontwanderings.blogspot.com/

This is not searchable (oh how I wish he would) but worth your time to just start at the beginning and make it a good book.  Be sure to copy what you find as getting back without search is not easy.
An example is that he lists all the Lost Lord Granville Land Grants.


1 comment:

  1. charlene acuff meadowsJuly 11, 2014 at 12:37 PM

    Thank you for this and for your 6/27 blog. Very helpful. I feel I have gotten ahead of myself by having dna testing done because it does take time and organization. I got started well but lately have had other irons in the fire and left match contacts hanging because of stopping at the first road block or two (I have had a few successes too of course). My goal is to put out a few fires this summer and zero in on dna this fall and winter to work on matches. Your frustration on the merging of so many genealogy sites is shared. While I understand there are financial business concerns for the sites, they are also getting a huge amount of information from we users. I have begun to feel a little cautious about that. I love sharing with connections and people searching, but I wish it didn't have to be so commercial, plus there is so much misinformation out there in print. That's why I love dna; there's a connection; you just have to find it. Thank you for the guidance.

    ReplyDelete